The interactive website that partners The Car and Motorcycle Theory Test book

Compulsory Basic Training

All learner riders must complete a Compulsory Basic Training course before riding a moped or motorcycle on the road unless

  • they have already obtained full moped entitlement as a result of passing a moped test on or after 1 December 1990
  • They have already obtained a full licence for one class of motorcycle entitlement and wish to upgrade to another – e.g. holders of A1 (light motorcycle) licences do not need to repeat CBT to validate a provisional category A entitlement
  • Unless they wish to ride a moped and have passed a car test before 1 February 2001 and hold a current full car licence. However, in this instance it would still be advisable to still take the CBT course.

Only instructors certified by the DSA can teach CBT at an approved training body (ATB). The instructors must have succesfully completed a 2 day assessment and the site used for off road training must have been approved by the DSA. You can find a list of CBT providers in our database of trainers. If you do not have your own motorbike or moped most CBT course if you wish to continue to ride on the road.